What better way to decide between chocolate or vanilla. Have them both! This cake uses my gluten free chocolate cake recipe (click here) as well as a vanilla butter cake. Both batters are very easy to make and amazing on their own or together. I use my own custom gluten free flour blend, but any cup for cup gluten free flour will work just fine. Hope you enjoy it!
Vanilla Butter Cake Ingredients:
2½ Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
1½ Cups Sugar
½ tsp Sea Salt
1 Tbs plus 1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Eggs (whole)
3 Eggs (yolks only)
1½ Cups Milk (almond or whole milk)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
¾ Cup plus 2 Tbs Unsalted Butter
How to make the Vanilla Batter:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, ½ cup of milk, and the vanilla.
- Add the remaining milk and butter to the dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
- Slowly add in the egg mixture in equal parts (about 4 rounds), mixing until combined.
- Set the batter aside while you make the chocolate cake batter.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
5 Tbsp Cocoa
½ Cup Vegetable Oil (Canola)
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Sea Salt
½ Cup Buttermilk
2 Cups Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
How to make the Chocolate Batter:
- Add the butter, cocoa, water, and oil to a pot. Bring to a quick boil, then decrease the heat, stirring until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another separate bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla to the flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Slowly add in the cocoa mixture, stirring to combine.
- Set the batter aside and prepare for marbling!
Time to marble!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare either cupcake pans (makes 2 dozen) or two 9×2 cake pans by lightly coating it with butter.
- For cake, scoop out the vanilla batter using a medium size scoop. Then repeat with the chocolate batter so that you have individual scoops of each batter side by side.
- For cupcakes, I start with the vanilla batter, then add the chocolate, etc. in three rounds.
- Take a spoon or a skewer and swirl both batters together (confession this is MUCH easier to do in cake form versus cupcake form).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch.