I have been in such a pistachio mood lately and find myself getting pistachios frequently to snack on. I love their flavor and color and knew I had to put that into a cake. I made a mascarpone frosting for these cupcakes, but any vanilla or cream cheese frosting would also work. I am not a huge frosting person and sometimes I just like eating the cake dusted with powdered sugar. The cupcakes are flavorful so I would recommend any light frosting. I then topped them off with some of the remaining ground pistachios. Enjoy!
2 ½ Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
1½ Cup Pistachios (coarsely ground) + ½ Cup for garnish
1 Tbs Baking Powder
½ tsp Sea Salt
1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
1 cup Mascarpone Cheese
2 Cups Sugar
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
1½ tsp Almond Extract
1 cup Olive Oil
1½ Cups Mascarpone Cheese
½ Cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 Cup Heavy Cream (or Half and Half)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together, whisk in 1½ cups of ground pistachios
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and mascarpone util combined.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then half of the olive oil and repeat.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35min.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream with the almond extract until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mascarpone and powdered sugar until combined and smooth.
- Fold the whip cream mixture into the mascarpone mixture.