I love the combination of the chocolate and spices here. I made these for the first time a few years ago at Christmas, but they can pass year round in my book! Hope you enjoy!
1½ Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
1¼ teaspoons Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg (Ground Nutmeg works as well, although the flavor won’t be as strong)
1 Tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
¼ pound (1 stick) unsalted Butter, cubed and room temperature
½ Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Molasses
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1½ teaspoons Boiling Water
¾ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
¼ Cup Sugar, plus 2 Tablespoons extra for rolling
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the molasses, mixing until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Add mixture to the flour mixture, mixing until all is combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, about 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.