This is the perfect summer backyard barbecue, picnic, or potluck dessert. Very easy to make and the dough can be used to make any fruit galette of your choice. I went with strawberry, but you can also try it with peach, plum, pear, or any other berry. Enjoy!
2 cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
2 TBS Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Gluten Free AP Flour
½ Cup Gluten Free Cornmeal
3 TBS Sugar
¼ tsp Sea Salt
½ Cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, cubed and chilled
¼ Cup + 2 TBS Ice Water,
¼ Cup Heavy Cream or Half & Half for wash
2 TBS Sugar for sprinkling
- Cube the butter, and put into the freezer to chill. It is critical that the butter stays very chilled throughout the whole process.
- Combine the sliced strawberries, sugar, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Set aside to soak in the refrigerator.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cheese grater, or your hands, gently cut the butter into the flour mixture until pea sized crumbs begin to form. Careful not to overwork or melt the butter too much. You will want your dough to still have visible butter streaks or lumps.
- Slowly add the water starting with ¼ cup. Combine gently using a fork. Add the remaining 2 TBS of water, again mixing with a fork.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12 inch diameter circle.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the strawberries in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 inch diameter around. Fold the remaining dough over the strawberries, overlapping and creasing the dough as necessary.
- Pour 2 TBS of the strawberry juice over the middle of the galette.
- Brush the dough with the cream and lightly dust with sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.