I love baking with lemon and kept coming across recipes for this cake so I had to try it out! I have made flourless cakes in the past, but never with almond flour so this was all new territory. I ended up changing the original recipe a little to add salt and coconut flour because I love the texture coconut flour gives baked goods. I also added extra lemon zest and lemon juice! This is a great summer treat without a lot of fat or sugar so I hope you enjoy! Great paired with lemon curd, fresh berries, or simply solo.
8 TBS (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
¾ Cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ Cup Lemon Zest
¼ Cup Lemon Juice, or juice from about 1½ lemons
4 Eggs, will need to separate egg yolks from egg whites
2 Cups Almond Meal, finely ground
½ Cup Coconut Flour
1 tsp Sea Salt
10½ ounces Ricotta
Almond Flakes & Powdered Sugar for the top
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly butter a 9×2 Cake Pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond meal, salt, and coconut flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time (keep the egg whites aside, they will be used later on), mixing well until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Fold the ricotta cheese into the butter mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture, half at a time, into the butter mixture. Transfer mix to a new bowl as you will need the stand mixer bowl for the egg whites.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the egg whites, in three instances, until just combined.
- Place the mixture into the prepared cake pan, sprinkling the top with the almonds.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and set on the top.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!