I have been craving Funfetti cake like CRAZY and I can’t seem to get my hands on the recently announced Pillsbury Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix, so I made my own. Boxed cake has a very distinct flavor and texture which can be accomplished by adding sour cream or greek yogurt to your recipe (this is because boxed funfetti has pudding in the mix), using egg whites instead of whole eggs (to make the batter light and fluffy), as well as using clear imitation vanilla (pure vanilla has a different taste and will give you more of that homemade vanilla flavor in comparison to the boxed cake vanilla flavor). Hope you enjoy! Have to admit this is pretty tasty, but doesn’t taste exactly like the box cake mix. It will have to do for now!
1 Cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
1½ Cups Sugar
4 Egg Whites
2 TBS Clear Imitation Vanilla
½ Cup Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
2½ Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
2¼ tsp Baking Powder
¾ tsp Sea Salt
1 Cup Whole Milk
Sprinkles! — You get to decide how much! I usually go around the 1 cup mark for extra fun!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the egg whites one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- Add the milk and greek yogurt, mixing to combine.
- Add the flour mixture, half at a time, mixing to combine.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly golden brown at the top.