Today I did a cake tasting for such a fun couple! They are going with a rustic pink & gold theme and a dessert table — including a naked three-tiered funfetti cake! I also had them taste a chocolate cake, chocolate chip marble cake, and lastly, lemon chiffon cake. For the frostings and fillings they tasted vanilla & chocolate whipped cream frosting, lemon curd, and fresh raspberries. In July I will post the final dessert table for this wedding so stay tuned!
2¼ Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
1½ Cups Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ tsp Sea Salt
½ Cup Vegetable Oil (Sunflower or Canola)
6 Large Egg Yolks
½ Cup Water
¼ Cup Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
1½ tsp Lemon Zest (fresh)
10 Large Egg Whites
¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F, line a 10 inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add 1¼ cups of sugar and the salt to the flour mixture, whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, oil, water, and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the flour mixture bowl and pour the liquid mixture in the center, gradually string to combine, taking portions from the side of the bowl as you stir.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, add the egg whites, beat on high until frothy — then add the cream of tartar until the whites start to firm.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar to the egg whites, and beat on high until the whites hold stiff peaks.
- Add a small portion of the egg white mixture to your other bowl, loosening up the batter.
- Slowly add portion by portion, folding in gently until all egg whites are added.
- Bake for about 45 – 50 minutes, or until the cake is firm and bouncy to the touch.