Cheers to Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread!
1¼ Cup of Raisins
2 Cups Gluten Free AP Flour
2 TBS Sugar
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp Cream of Tartar
4 TBS Unsalted Butter
½ Cup Buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a small saucepan place raisins and enough water to just cover the raisins. Let simmer until plump then remove from the heat, drain, and set aside to cool. The raisins don’t need to cool competely.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into the flour mixture until it forms small crumbs – my trick here is actually using a standing cheese grater to grate the butter into the dough. This prevents you from overworking the butter. You can also cut the butter into small cubes prior to adding and then break with your fingers.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and slightly cooled raisins to the flour mixture and stir everything together with a fork until the dough starts to come together.
- Place the round of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Score the bread with an “X”.
- Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Remove the bread from the oven, brush with butter (optional) and Enjoy!